Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Arthur’s Day, Hurling, and Mountaineering



This weekend was full of fun and games! Thursday was Arthur’s Day, an Irish holiday created in honor of Arthur Guinness, the inventor of Guinness Beer. In the true Irish spirit, the point of this holiday is to consume beer. At 18:00 (6 PM) sharp, hundreds of students meet on the stairs of city hall to cheers to Arthur! My Irish friend showed me videos of past Arthur’s Day toasts and I was excited to take part in this illegal and exciting tradition.


Unfortunately, the Garda (Irish Police) must have also seen these videos, as they were on the steps of City Hall to greet us. There were swarms of teenagers and students standing on the sidewalk with pints of Guinness to toast to Arthur, and the Garda were having a field day issuing fines. We had already opened our cans of Guinness and wanted to continue celebrating, so we snuck past the Garda and on into town. However, two of my American friends were stopped. After they explained that they were foreign, the Gaurdi did not issue them a fine. Apparently the Garda don’t know it’s also illegal to drink on the streets in America. We did not get to cheers to Arthur on the steps of City Hall, but we did avoid a fine! To Arthur!



Two days after that lovely, and somewhat anticlimactic, Irish holiday, there was the replay (rematch because the last game ended in a tie) of the national Hurling Championship Game. Hurling is one of the national sports of Ireland, and I wish I could explain the rules to you. Despite watching the game, looking up the rules, and even practicing it myself once, I have no idea how the game of Hurling works. It’s kind of like an unnecessarily violent blend of field hockey, football, and rugby. Anyway, we went to a local pub to watch the game and got along fine by cheering with the locals. I must have seen and heard “Up the Rebels!” at least 100 times that day. After a hard fought game, the Cork Rebels lost to Clare. Everyone was surprisingly civil despite the devastating loss. I was expecting some kind of riot, but it turns out Rebel fans are better behaved than fans of the Dodgers or the Kings, Americans should take a hint from the Irish-drink more, fight less!




The next day I woke up early to hike Boughil Mountain with the UCC Mountaineering Club. Boughil is in county Kerry and the summit is about 650 meters high. And yes, we hiked all the way to the top! When I joined the Mountaineering Club I thought I knew what I was getting myself into, but it turns out my definition of hiking was way off. After this 5.5 hour trek up to the summit and back down the other side, I can finally say I have been on a real hike. I now know that Victory Trail, Malibu Creek, and Escondido Falls, some of my favorite ‘hikes’ at home are actually light strolls. The climb to the top of Mt. Boughil was brutal. During the hike I found myself questioning why I signed up for this, and even wanted to quit a couple times, not that quitting was an option because I was in a group of 20 people halfway up a mountain. For the first time in my life I was freezing cold and dripping sweat at the same time-I had to choose whether to remove a layer and cool down or keep it to prevent freezing my ears and arms off. Halfway up the mountain we entered a blanket of fog and were trapped in a layer of mist for the next couple hours. When we reached the summit, we could see about 20 feet in front of us, and the rest was a white haze. Despite the unexpected difficulty and awful weather, I am glad I went on the hike and will be doing more in the future. Now that I know what a real hike is, I will be prepared and hopefully the next mountain will be less foggy so I can get good pictures of the view from summit.




No comments:

Post a Comment