Friday, September 27, 2013

Last Port of Call


 Cobh (pronounced Cove) is a small Oceanside town about 20 minutes away from Cork. It was the last port of call for the doomed Titanic. With this being it’s claim to fame, there were three Titanic exhibits in the tiny town, so I obviously went for the true ‘Titanic Experience.’



I bought my ticket and was told my name was Lillian Minahan. I was 37 years old and travelling in first class with my husband and daughter back home to Wisconsin.  This ticket would have cost 870 pounds ($69,600 today) if I were indeed traveling on the Titanic.



As we waited to walk out to the dock, a virtual Titanic employee explained how marvelous and modern the Titanic was. He welcomed us aboard her maiden voyage as he bragged about all the Titanic had to offer. He assured us that the ship was unsinkable (the entire exhibit was swimming in irony). We proceeded to the original dock where the actual travelers boarded the Titanic, and learned all about the ship and its doomed journey into the Atlantic.



Did you know: The Titanic is about as long as the Eifel Tower is high. The Titanic was the first ship to have a heated swimming pool on deck. Third class on the Titanic was almost the equivalent of first class on other ships of that time. There is no picture of the iceberg that the Titanic collided with. Several rich people scheduled their vacations in accordance with the ship captain’s voyages because he was thought to be one of the best. This same captain ignored reports of icebergs ahead and maintained the ships speed into its fatal crash.



After experiencing the journey I was happy to discover that I, Lillian Minahan, survived the sinking of the Titanic. Unfortunately my husband did not make it; Wisconsin will never be the same without him.

Cobh was bursting with everything Titanic, but after ‘The Experience’ we hiked up a steep hill to a visit a striking cathedral that overlooked the town, the port, and the ocean. The sky was hazy, but the views were remarkable nonetheless.






Surprisingly, it wasn’t that windy in Cobh so I couldn't take a windy selfie, sorry!


No comments:

Post a Comment